Have you ever noticed that food eaten outside tastes SO delicious? A hearty meal while camping in your new or used RV is just one of the best things that camping has to offer. Here’s a great camping recipe for grilled shish kebabs. They please even picky eaters, because they’re so versatile in flavor options. Try out some of these delicious shish kebab combos below on your first camping trips this spring!
Grilled Shish Kebabs
- Meats: cubed beef or pork steak, turkey or chicken breast cut in bite size pieces, sausage or kielbasa, shrimp, etc. Meat-free option: tofu!
- Fruits and veggies: Mushrooms, onions, pineapple, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, yellow squash or zucchini, apple, or mango
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
You’ll also need:
- Metal or wooden skewers
- Meat thermometer
- If you’re going to be using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least half an hour prior to grilling.
- Fire up the grill or cooktop on the outdoor kitchen of your new or used RV. You can also grill directly over the campfire!
- Thread ingredients of your choice onto skewer, alternating meats and veggies.
- Brush lightly and seasonwith salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill until meat is cooked through. You’ll want to use these internal temperatures to cook until well done:
Feeling stuck in a flavor rut? Try out these delicious combinations for your shish kebabs:
- Beef steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms
- Pork, bell peppers, mango, pineapple
- Pork, onions, apple (try with barbeque sauce!)
- Chicken, shrimp, onions, peppers
- Kielbasa, mushrooms, bell peppers
Make it Saucy
Another idea to add even more flavor and tenderness is to marinate your meats overnight in the fridge (don’t leave them out on the counter!). Use mason jars or food storage bags to marinate your meats and these sauce ideas:
- Zesty shrimp marinade: ¼ cup olive oil, ½ tsp chili powder, 3 Tbs lemon juice. Whisk well to combine and add shrimp. Refrigerate overnight.
- Teriyaki beef or pork marinade: ½ cup sugar, ½ cup soy sauce, ½ cup ketchup, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp ground ginger. Whisk well to combine and add 1 pound of cubed beef or pork steak. Refrigerate overnight.
- Maple chicken marinade: 2 tsp olive oil, 1 Tbs grated ginger, 2 cloves minced garlic, ½ cup teriyaki sauce, 3 Tbs maple syrup, ½ cup chicken broth, 2 Tbs orange juice, 1 tsp sriracha sauce, 1 Tbs cornstarch, 1 Tbs water. Whisk well to combine and add cubed chicken breast. Refrigerate overnight.
This is an easy camping recipe that you can take with you wherever you plan to adventure in your new or used RV. So contact us today – we can help you pick out a model with a perfect outdoor kitchen to make this recipe even more easy and delicious!