Nothing heralds the arrival of summer like grilling burgers on your first camping trip of the season – and nothing bids summer “seeya til next year!” like – you guessed it – burgers on the grill. Here’s an easy and delicious Labor Day camping recipe that will finish up your summer season on a high note.
Smoky Gouda Burgers
makes four burgers
- 1 pound ground beef, divided into 4 equal portions (I recommend an 85/15% blend)
- 4 slices smoked Gouda cheese
- Sesame seed buns
- Bread & butter pickle chips
- ½ cup French fried onions
- 2 Tbs butter, optional
- 1 Tbs olive oil, optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Whatever you want on your burgers – try this yummy and delicious sauce you can make at home.
Tools you’ll need:
- Iron skillet
Let’s get grilling!
- First things first: zap the French fried onions in the microwave on a paper plate with a paper towel for about 15 seconds. They’ll get hot and crispy! Set aside.
- Divide the ground beef into four equal portions and roll into balls. Smash with your hands or a spatula, nice and thin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Get your grill rip roaring hot – or your iron skillet! If using your skillet, throw a bit of butter and olive oil in the pan.
- Grill burgers until desired doneness is achieved, flipping occasionally to cook evenly. 155-160 degrees will get you to well done.
- Just before removing burgers from heat, top with slices of cheese.
- Layer up the burgers on buns with bread & butter pickles and French fried onions, as well as any other toppings of your choosing.
This is a tasty and easy Labor Day camping recipe you may just keep handy the rest of the year! We’re also ready to help year round with all of your RV and camping needs, so don’t hesitate to contact us today if you need help shopping for a new or used RV or need to schedule some RV service.