If you’re traveling during the holidays in your new or used RV from Modern Trailer Sales, you’ll definitely want this easy recipe for sausage balls. This is a favorite holiday recipe my entire family loves, and you can either make it ahead of time or take the ingredients with you. Either way, it’s a crowd pleaser!
Holiday Sausage Balls
- 1 lb spicy ground sausage
- 1 box cheddar biscuit mix (we use Red Lobster brand)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (we prefer either pepper jack, Monterey jack, or cheddar)
You’ll also need:
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Meat thermometer
This recipe couldn’t be easier! Simply mix thoroughly all ingredients together – including the little seasoning packet that comes in the biscuit mix. You can mix it by spoon, by hand, or if you’re at home, in your stand mixer. Then scoop out large tablespoons onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Roll into balls, and bake at 350 until meat thermometer inserted reads 160 degrees.
- Why a meat thermometer instead of a specific time? Baking food for certain time cycles runs the risk of either under or over cooking. Dangerous if it’s undercooked, and unpalatable if it’s overcooked and dry! Cooking to temperature instead of time ensures you get a fully cooked finished product without being dried out.
- These are great straight out of the oven, but if you’re traveling and want them to last, they’ll do just fine for a couple of days in an airtight food storage container. Of course, ours never last longer than a day, so we typically double or triple the batch if we want leftovers!
- Some sausage ball recipes call for the sausage to be cooked first with other liquids added to help retain moisture. I like this recipe because by starting with raw sausage, the meat keeps the sausage balls moist, not dry, as it cooks!
If you’re traveling in your new or used RV over the winter or during the holidays, let us help make sure your road trip goes safely and smoothly. Contact us for assistance with your RV questions or RV service or repair needs!