- Choose amounts according to the number of servings needed.
- bread slices
- cinnamon sugar mixture
- seasonal fruit (sweet cherries, blueberries, raspberries, peach slices, apple slices) or preserves or canned pie filling
- Make sure the campfire is very hot with glowing coals.
- Spray the insides of the sandwich iron with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lay a piece of bread in each side of the iron and press it down slightly to make an indentation in the bread. Place a few tablespoons of fruit on the bread and sprinkle on about 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Lay the other piece of bread on top of the other.
- Connect the two sides of the sandwich iron and press down, locking the handles together. Scrape away any bread hanging out of the irons as it will burn in the hot coals. Place the iron right in the middle of the hottest part of the fire and leave it there for about 2 to 3 minutes. The sides should be toasted golden brown when ready. The pie will be very hot, so allow it to cool for a couple minutes before eating.
seasoned sandwich iron (Make sure it has been properly seasoned before use. You may need more than one depending on the number of people.)
nonstick cooking spray
campfire (or very hot coals in a grill)
You can make many different types of pies. Try some of these variations.
More sweet fillings: Nutella and sliced bananas, peanut butter and chocolate chips.
Use cinnamon swirl bread or a brioche loaf.
Make savory pies with pizza fillings, ham and cheese, or Rueben sandwich fillings.